Victory Hemp Foods creates uniquely high-function ingredients that deliver the nutritional power of hemp in attractive formats, all grown by American Farmers. Victory’s proprietary light colored and neutrally flavored proteins & oils (and traditional hemp formats), all sourced from American farms, create delicious, on-trend plant-based products and effective skin care, beverage & animal nutrition solutions. We will create the most value from the hemp seed to profitably lead hemp toward becoming a major commodity crop. Our goal is to purchase at least 1 million acres of hemp seed by 2030.
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Victory Hemp Foods (VHF) is seeking an experienced Food Safety and Quality Manager to join an exciting hemp food ingredient company. As leader of an early stage, lean, startup operation, the FS/QA Manager will be expected to wear many hats in the initial growth period but will shed responsibilities to more specialized employees as the company grows. It is important that you are willing to roll up your sleeves to get the job done, but also able to effectively manage a team of quality professionals.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter, has well developed knowledge of food processing, food safety, 3rd party certifications including Kosher, Halal, Non-GMO, USDA Organic, GFSI and more, agricultural supply chains, and material handling, planning and storage. The FS/QA Manager must be willing and able to directly interact with FDA, Kosher, Halal, Non-GMO and other 3rd parties. The FS/QA Manager must be comfortable communicating the mission of Victory Hemp Foods to stakeholders including board members, investors and customers. This person will demonstrate evidence based decision making, possess grit, listens to others, owns their work, is able to see the big picture, assumes positive intent from others, and prioritizes the needs of the company and team.
The Food Safety and Quality Assurance Manager provides leadership, direction, and execution of all plant food safety functions to support the company’s food safety goals, the company’s statement of quality and ensure regulatory compliance. Ensures all products produced meet or exceed all customer, regulatory, and company requirements as they relate to food safety. Directs the plant Food Safety and Quality Departments in selecting, developing, and motivating food safety team members to achieve organizational goals. Acts as plant authority on all food safety and quality matters to ensure product safety and quality is always maintained.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The essential functions of this position include, but are not necessarily limited to, those specifically identified in this description. The position and its essential functions may change over time and these changes may not necessarily be reflected in the position description. The Company may, at its sole discretion, add to, change, or expand the essential or marginal functions of this position.
- Manages all activities of the Food Safety department in a manner which results in consistent food safety results as measured through the company matrix and regulatory mandates.
- Expert abilities and decision making for Food Safety, Regulatory and Quality Challenges.
- Develops, documents and implements food safety processes and procedures to ensure product safety is always monitored and maintained.
- Leads all food safety and regulatory efforts at the plant.
- Serves as the catalyst for leading continuous quality improvement and Company’s QIP through technology and scientific research in an effort to develop the plant’s food safety program(s) and quality to industry best.
- Influence development steps used in the innovation and commercialization process to leverage design and achieve consumer safety and quality objectives, and drives improvement of consumer-based specifications.
- Guides company Quality Standards, Systems and Quality Policies.
- Enforces the company’s food safety standards as outlined in the plants HACCP, GMP and GFSI standards and other programs. Maintains the required documentation.
- Provides leadership and is an active member of project teams to ensure food safety concerns are addressed at assigned plants.
- Maintains open communications with plant management, sales and marketing staff to ensure each are aware of any potential food safety related concerns with product or product requirements and specifications.
- Develops a professional working relationship and acts as a plant liaison with regulatory agencies.
- Develops staff through appropriate mentoring and continuing education efforts. Ensures the company’s food safety programs are properly communicated and plant associates have a working knowledge of the programs through training and mentoring.
- Provides timely, accurate and relevant data and analysis to plant and corporate management.
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities with urgency via prioritization and program management skills.
- Embodies knowledge and general business acumen to support and influence Marketing and R&D.
- Engage in development and standardization of quality manuals, policies, procedures, data templates, audit standards and procedures.
- Maintains Statistical Process Control Programs, and performs design of experiments and process capability studies.
- Ability to drive organizational alignment on Quality objectives with an enterprise-wide mindset, and the adaption of structure, processes and system to achieve objectives.
- Assertive yet collaborative. Demonstrated skills influencing components of the company, tough-mindedness, vision, and political savvy to manage internally and externally.
Minimum education: BS Food Science or related STEM field, MS preferred
Years of relevant quality experiences: 8 or more
Years of Quality Supervisory Experience: 5 or more; previous experience as Quality Manager is preferred
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to work near moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The position requires working in a humid and warm environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and is frequently required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, and talk or hear. The employee is required to sit, climb or balance and taste or smell.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of the responsibilities, duties and skills required of individuals so classified.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to perform the job successfully. The Company recognizes that an individual with a disability may require an accommodation to enable them to successfully perform a job function. Consideration will be given to reasonable accommodations.
Victory Hemp Foods is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers, including those with disabilities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or veteran status.
JOB TYPE: Full-time Exempt
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401K
- Competitive salary
- Competitive paid time off
PAY: Competitive. Commensurate with experience and expertise
SCHEDULE: Monday to Friday
HOW TO APPLY: Send your resume and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “FS/QA Manager.”
All are encouraged to apply. Victory Foods PBC is an equal opportunity employer.